There are so many animals for you to choose from when you want a new pet that finding the perfect little friend for you is quite a chore to say the least.
Luckily, most pets are unique in their very own ways, so you can easily just look through their main characteristics and see which one is better suited for your wants and needs.
If you want cute and cuddly, cats and dogs will always come first as the most sought-after pet options out there.
But, if you’re more so interested in getting a bit of an unusual pet, why not go for something along the lines of a spider or a snake?
That may be great for some though, but what if you want a slightly less dangerous pet to have around you?
Well, in that case you can always just go into the strange and unique niche where you will find the likes of the axolotl.
What Owning an Axolotl Is Like?
So, you decided that you want an axolotl but you are still wondering over the logistics behind this choice, and for good reason too.
Axolotls are unlike any other pet you’ve ever had. They are by far some of the most fascinating little buggers you could ever own and that’s a fact.
What makes them so special though? Well, aside from their incredibly unique look, which we will get into more in a few minutes, by far the most distinctive trait that all axolotls share is the fact that they can regenerate most of their bodies even after being severed apart.
In fact, they can regenerate their limbs, spinal cord, heart and that’s not all. In some cases, axolotls have even been seen regenerating parts of their brains, even if most of them have been completely removed.
But regardless, when searching for a new axolotl to adopt you may be shocked to see just how much variety there is for you to choose from.
That’s because axolotls come in all sorts of different colors. But usually they are identified by their unique gills, which you can see protruding right from their heads.
While they can breathe both in and out of water, they can’t stay out of the water. This is because they do not go through metamorphosis, and as such they spend all of their lives underwater.
Back in the day, owning a pet axolotl was quite a luxury, but as the years rolled on by axolotls started to catch on in Mexico, and for the past couple of centuries now they’ve become quite a staple of most households.
Lately, they’ve also become quite popular in the US and Europe alike, becoming an overnight sensation for people that want to own a unique looking creature as a pet.
Because of how popular they are in Mexico; the axolotl has also received multiple nicknames in both English and Spanish.
By far the most commonly used name though is and will always be “water monster”, as it refers directly to the strange appearance of the creature and the fact that it lives most of its life under the sea.
But regardless, now that you know what owning an axolotl is like, how about we go over the main event for the day, the best names you can give your axolotl friend, starting off with:
The Most Popular Axolotl Names
While the axolotl itself is a very unique animal to have, that doesn’t mean that you can’t give it a more popular name that other people have used for their axolotls too.
So, here are the most popular axolotl names as of this year:
- Ariel – This one’s pretty self-explanatory, if you like calling out to your cute little mermaid every time you see your little sea monster, definitely go for this name
- Frodo – if you’re a fan of the Lord of the Rings series, this one’s a keeper
- Tadpole – A bit of a strange one, but then again if there ever was a pet that deserved to have a strange name, the axolotl is more than qualified enough
- Twinkle – A lot of axolotl owners swear by the fact that they can see their little axolotl friend sparkle every time they enter the room, so if you feel the same way you can always just use this name for your axolotl
- Yoda – Regardless of whether you are a fan of Star Wars or not, this will forever be a great option to go for. You can also call your axolotl Baby Yoda when it’s young or when you want to tease and baby talk your pet
- Azula – If you’re an Avatar fan, and we’re not talking about the one with blue aliens running around and shooting arrows at one another, you will see this as a very fitting name to give your axolotl
- Dopey – If your axolotl has a bit of a goofy look on their face and you want to showcase this through their name alone, you should consider using this name
- Boba – This one’s a bit of a personal favorite for us simply because of how easy it is to remember and how goofy it sounds when you call out to your little friend. You can also alter the name slightly and call your axolotl Bubba if you want to
- Zuki / Zuko – Yes, we know, another Avatar reference, but can you really blame us with this one? It’s just such a perfect name for any pet out there
- Nemo – This one doesn’t need any introduction either, it’s just one of those really fun names that everybody can get behind
- Baby – Yes we know that this one’s a bit of a simple one to go for, but honestly how many of us can say that we have never referred to our pets as “babies” before in our lives? This is how we ended up accidentally naming more than a quarter of our pets as “Baby” and we don’t regret it in the slightest considering how cute of a name it is to begin with
Male Axolotl Names
But by far the biggest thing you should take into consideration when naming your pet axolotl is their gender. That’s because, while it can be funny at first, it will get quite confusing for you to call your male axolotl pet “Brittney” when he’s clearly more of a Back Street Boys type of guy.
All jokes aside, here are the best male axolotl names we could think of:
- SpongeBob – Has anyone in the history of ever looked at the name SpongeBob and said to himself, “maybe I shouldn’t?”. Honesty, even if you say yes, we still won’t believe you because…. Who lives in a pineapple under the sea???
- Ludevic / Ludwig – It’s actually quite hard to find a more refined sounding name than this one, so if you want to give your cute and manly little friend a fitting name, you should definitely consider this one
- El Bandito – It’s funny, quirky, and it will fit any pet axolotl out there
- Mojo Jojo – Alternatively you can cut the name in half and either call your axolotl Mojo or Jojo
- Mario – What else can we say, other than Wahoo!
- Phantom – This is an exceptionally great option for your pet if you happen to have an albino axolotl
- Ahti – This name comes from ancient Finnish mythology, and it refers to a water god, which makes it the perfect name for your sea monster friend
- Carlow – This means “four-part lake” in Irish, and it honestly just sounds really cool to us
- Casper – Again, if you happen to have an albino axolotl, this name will be perfect for your axolotl
- Itachi – If you’re an anime fan, you already know whether this is the right name for your pet
- Jack Sparrow – It needs no introduction whatsoever, this name is the perfect one to give your little sea wanderer
- Hydro – This directly translates to “water” in Greek, and on top of that it also just sounds really cool to hear of a pet sea monster that is named “Hydro”
- Neptune – While we are on the subject of mythology, why not consider naming your axolotl after the god of the sea in Roman mythology?
Female Axolotl Names
If you got your hands on a female axolotl though and you want to give her a fun little name that is befitting the sea princess that she is, definitely consider using one of the following names:
- Adria – This is a great name to give your little lady, as it means “sea” in Latin
- Calypso – This is the name of one of the most famous sea nymphs in all of Greek mythology
- Anna / Annabelle
- Meri – This name directly translates to “sea” in Finnish
- Namiko – This name translates into “wave child” in Japanese”
- Mizuko – This one is also a Japanese name that translates to “water child”
- Bonita / Bonnie
- Buffy – If you are a fan of the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you already know why this is the perfect name to give your “fish out of water” pet
- Cookie – It’s cute, adorable, and best of all, very easy to remember
- Spy – Since your axolotl will spend most of her time just staring you down and making sure that you still exist in her peripheral vision, you may want to go for this name
- Gilly – Referencing the unique looking gills that this species has
- Belle – This is just a beautiful name that we can never get enough of
- Umi – Meaning “sea” in Japanese, this name is perfect if you want to use an easy to remember and easy to pronounce name
- Delfina – This name translates directly into “dolphin” in Greek
Gender Neutral Axolotl Names
But hey, not everybody wants to give their pets gender-based names, which is why we prepared this list right here of the best gender-neutral axolotl names we can think of:
- Banana – This is a perfectly serviceable name if you happen to have a yellow axolotl pet
- Ghost – If you own an albino axolotl, Ghost is a perfect name for your new buddy. At the same time, if you are a fan of Game of Thrones, you may want to consider going for this name too
- Onion –The name “Onion” is quite a funny name to go for, so if you want to make your guests laugh every time you call out to your friend, this may be the perfect name for you to go for
- Kitty – This one does have a slight feminine ring to it, but then again you can use it for males too and confuse them the whole time
- Chainsaw – This is a very funny name that will get everybody howling when they first hear it
- Lemon – If you happen to own a yellow axolotl, this would definitely make for one of the best names for them
- Coral – You can also use this name as a reference to The Walking Dead, making it a double entendre type of a name that everybody that knows the show will laugh at
- Pinky – You can make this a bit of a joke too by simply stating that this is Pinky after he lost his Brain
- Goldie Locks
- Sugar – If your axolotl friend is cute and sweet and they know it, this is the perfect name for them
Funny Axolotl Names
Funny names are all the rage right now, so if you want to make your guests laugh then why not go for one of the following options:
- Aquaman – Everybody’s favorite fish-talking superhero (although that may be just because there isn’t all that much competition there)
- Achilles – If you want, for whatever reason, to give your axolotl friend a relatively badass name that it most definitely has not earned yet it will proudly carry that for the rest of its life, definitely consider using this one
- Nibbler – If your axolotl constantly swims around with its mouth open you may want to consider going for this name
- Dory – Sometimes we feel like our pets are not exactly the brightest of the bunch. If you feel like your axolotl fits that description then you should consider going for a name such as this one
- Aristotle – On the other side of the spectrum we have the name Aristotle, a perfectly suitable name for any geeky or nerdy looking axolotl buddy
- Dorky / Nerdy – We just thought about these names, and honestly, we have to say that if there ever was a pet that deserved to have these names, it would definitely have to be the axolotl
- Aquarius – If people ever ask you what sign your pet axolotl is, you can always just direct them straight to their name
- Melvin – This one is just funny to us, don’t ask us why, it just sounds so goofy
- Squidward – This name will definitely get more than a handful of cackles next time you go out and you mention your pet’s name to anyone
How to Come Up with a Name for Your Axolotl
If you looked through that whole list and you couldn’t find a single name that you liked you can always just do the following and you’ll be sure to find the perfect name for your newly bought or adopted friend:
- Take their features into consideration – Consider your axolotl’s color, their face, their demeanor and better yet, just the general vibe that they give off.
- Use your favorite characters as references – We mentioned a few of them here, but you can always just go with whatever character’s name, no matter how goofy it may sound.
- Choose between a funny or a serious name – Some names are just plain cool sounding, others bring a smile to your face every time you hear them, choose the one you prefer out of these two categories.
- Name them after a relative or a friend that passed away – This one’s a bit of a downer but at the same time you can honor them by allowing them to live on in your mind through your axolotl friend.
But regardless, we hope that this list was helpful enough for you and that you now know what to name your new axolotl friend.
Remember that the only thing that matters is that you like it, so even if not everybody understands the reference or they just don’t think it’s funny enough for your pet, always think of your opinion as number one, and everyone else’s as barely optional if even worth considering.