While your ferret will spend plenty of time outside of their enclosure, it is likely that they will spend hours each day inside of it. For this reason, you want to make it as comfortable for him as possible. One way to do this is by providing your ferret with several hammocks and beds to rest and sleep in.
In this article, we are going to go over all of the different things you need to consider when picking out a ferret bed or hammock, along with a guide to ten great ferret hammocks and beds for you to consider.
This post contains affiliate links, and I may be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links, at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
- Why Are Hammocks And Beds An Essential Item In A Ferret’s Cage?
- What To Check Before Buying A Ferret Hammock
- How Many Hammocks Do Ferrets Need In Their Cage?
- How Do You Clean A Ferret Bed or Hammock?
- How Often Do I Need To Change A Ferret Bed Or Hammock?
- Do Ferrets Need Blankets?
- 10 Best Ferret Hammocks and Beds On The Market
- 1. Marshall Pirate Ship
- 2. Marshall Pet Hanging Nap Sack
- 3. MidWest Nation Hanging Hideaway Ferret Hammock
- 4. Marshall Hanging Ferret Hammock
- 5. Kaytee Small Animal Plush Sleeper Hammock
- 6. Ware Crinkle Hang-N-Tunnel Small Animal Sleeper
- 7. Two Brothers Ferret Double Bunkbed Hammock
- 8. JanYoo Ferret bed – XL
- 9. WowowMeow Small Animals Hanging Cave Bed
- 10. MidWest Homes For Pet Ferrets
Why Are Hammocks And Beds An Essential Item In A Ferret’s Cage?
There are a couple of reasons that your ferrets need hammocks and beds. First of all, just like you, your ferrets need a comfortable place to sleep, take a nap, or just rest for a little while for a break from all that playing and mischief.
Beds and hammocks that hang are also helpful because it gives your ferret more space to explore and climb while keeping the ground open for toys, food bowls, and litter boxes.
Why Do Ferrets Love Hammocks And Beds?
While it is impossible to ask your ferret why he likes his hammocks and beds so much, it is safe to assume it is because they perfectly replicate their burrowing instincts. Ferrets also enjoy the privacy that enclosed hammocks and beds give them when they crawl inside for a rest and some quiet.
What To Check Before Buying A Ferret Hammock
- Safety: The most important thing to ensure when buying anything for your ferret is that it is safe. When it comes to hammocks, that means making sure it has durable straps and hooks. You will also want to make sure that it will support the weight of your ferret or possibly even multiple ferrets if it is big enough.
- Comfort: After safety, you want to make sure that your ferret is comfortable. You want it to be made of a soft material, and you want at least one or two beds that will offer your ferret a sense of privacy.
- Design: While your ferret will not really care whether his bed is a whimsical pirate ship or more sleek and simple, you might. When it comes to design, you can pick out whichever options that you like best.
- Easily Washable: If you get a ferret hammock or bed that is not machine washable, cleaning it can become a real pain. For this reason, you likely only want to get hammocks and beds that are easy to detach and throw right into the machine.
Are Hammocks Safe For Ferrets?
When you are hanging up a hammock, especially in a tall ferret cage, you may feel afraid that it is not secure enough and could fall down while your ferret is in it. However, most ferret hammocks are completely safe. They should attach with some sort of plastic or metal clips and have strong straps.
You should regularly check the beds and hammocks for damage to make sure your ferret is not chewing them apart. Once you notice damage, you should replace the hammock.
How Many Hammocks Do Ferrets Need In Their Cage?
You want to give your ferret several places where they can sleep or climb around on. If you have just one ferret, it is recommended that you get two or three hammocks for your ferret’s enclosure. If you have multiple ferrets in one enclosure, you are going to want to get more hammocks or bigger hammocks.
You are also going to want to get your ferret a variety of different hammocks and beds. Ferrets can get bored easily, so doing whatever you can to add variety to their day-to-day life is always good.
How Do You Clean A Ferret Bed or Hammock?
How you clean your ferret’s beds and hammocks depends a lot on the material it is made of. Many hammocks and beds are made of materials that are completely machine washable. If this is the case for your ferret’s hammocks and beds, all you have to do is unhook them and throw them in the washing machine.
On the other hand, if a bed is not machine washable, you will have to follow the specific directions that came with it.
How Often Do I Need To Change A Ferret Bed Or Hammock?
You only need to completely change or replace the bed or hammock when it starts to fall apart or become damaged. There are a couple of different kinds of damage that you need to be on the lookout for. You want to get rid of any bed or hammock that your ferret starts to chew apart because he might ingest pieces which can be extremely dangerous.
You also want to replace any hammocks where the straps or hooks are becoming worn or damaged to make sure your ferret does not fall down.
On the other hand, you will need to clean the beds and hammocks more often. Generally speaking, you should clean your ferret’s cage completely (including washing the hammocks and beds) once a week.
Do Ferrets Need Blankets?
Your ferret does not necessarily need blankets in order to live a healthy, happy life. However, putting a small blanket in the cage could be a way to provide your ferret with an extra bed or place to sleep without spending any money.
You can give your ferret a blanket bed with an actual blanket, or you can use other materials like old t-shirts, cloth bags, or towels. Keep in mind that ferrets can be destructive, so you do not want to give your ferret anything you are not okay with getting dirty or destroyed.
Blanket beds also give your ferret a great way to play. Your ferrets can dig around and burrow in the blankets and towels. Finally, cleaning it is really easy because all you have to do is throw it in the washing machine.
10 Best Ferret Hammocks and Beds On The Market
The Marshall Pirate Ship Cage Accessory is not only super cute but your ferret is bound to love it. It is super soft and cozy, and it will give your ferret a sense of privacy – your ferret will sleep much more soundly knowing that he is not exposed and vulnerable while asleep.
If you are looking for comfort and fun, this is one of the best hammocks/beds on the list. It is also washable, so whenever it gets dirty, all you have to do is throw it into the washing machine.
However, there are a few safety concerns that you need to keep in mind. You want to make sure that the four holes in the base are big enough for your ferret to climb in and out without choking or getting stuck. You also want to watch to make sure that your ferret is not chewing it up and ingesting the material.
It does come with a decorative pirate flag, but it is better to leave it out of the cage when you are not there for your ferret’s safety.
- Cute & fun design that will spice up your ferret’s cage
- The house-like design will give your ferret privacy while he sleeps
- It is machine washable, which makes cleaning easy
- A few safety concerns such as the size of the holes and the decorative flag
Whether you are looking for a hammock or a bed, the Marhsall Pet Hanging Nap Sack is a great option. Both the inside and outside are made of soft, plush materials so your ferret can feel comfortable and cozy, whether he is curling up inside for some privacy and a nap or laying on the outside to rest while still being able to look around.
The bed itself is 16 inches by 13 inches, which is big enough for even two ferrets to curl up together. The straps are also easy to adjust, so you can position it however you want, and they hook easily and safely to the side of most wire cages. You can also hook it up outside of your cage if you have somewhere to attach it to.
The only downside to this ferret nap sack is that the material is not all that durable. Some ferret owners have found that their ferrets chew through it every couple of months, and therefore they have to keep replacing it.
- Made of a soft material that your ferret can crawl into or lay on top of
- Big enough to hold up to two ferrets
- Can be hung up as a hammock or laid out as a bed
- Ferrets can chew through the material, so you may have to replace them quite often
If you are looking for a hammock to attach to the top of your ferret cage, a great option is the MidWest Nation Hanging Hideaway Rat & Ferret Hammock. It comes in two different sizes. The small size is only big enough for one ferret, but the large can comfortably hold two ferrets snuggled up together.
It offers your ferret a comfortable place to take a nap or to just hide out for a little while after you attach it easily to the top of the cage with four hooks. When it comes time to clean it, it is just as easy to take it down and throw it in the washing machine and then the dryer, so it is always fresh and soft for your ferret.
The one thing to keep in mind is that hooks are made out of plastic, so if your ferret chews them and ingests some, it can be dangerous.
- Easily attaches and detaches from the top of your ferret’s cage with four hooks
- Comes in two sizes so you can get the size that will work best for you and your ferret
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- The hooks are made out of plastic which can be dangerous if your ferret chews them
If you are looking for another decorative option, but you are not sure that you want the pirate ship, you could get the Marshall Banana Hanging Ferret Hammock. The inside of the hammock is lined with soft fleece that will keep your ferret snug and warm all winter long; however, you may not want to keep it up in the summer in order to keep your ferret from overheating.
It hangs up on the side of your ferret’s cage with four adjustable straps and plastic hooks. Your ferret could potentially chew through both the straps and the hooks, but as long as you check the condition regularly, it should be just fine.
The banana hammock is also a lot of fun, with three openings. One opening is in the middle, and there is also an opening on each end. If you have 2 ferrets, they might love chasing each other through the different openings and playing peek-a-boo.
- It is a fun, decorative design for inside your ferret’s cage
- Hangs up with adjustable straps
- Fleece will keep your ferret warm all winter long
- Thin straps and plastic hooks could be chewed through
The Kaytee Cozy Hammock is a great option if you are looking for a place for your ferret to curl up after a long day of playing and mischief. The hammock is lined with faux fur, so your ferret will be sure to love it, though you will want to make sure your ferret isn’t chewing on the fur and ingesting it.
You can also be confident that your ferret is secure whenever hanging in this hammock. The four straps are durable and attach to the wire cage with metal hooks, so you do not have to worry about your ferret chewing through them. The straps are not adjustable, so you are limited when it comes to where you can hang it.
Finally, this hammock is also machine washable, so when it is time to clean the ferret cage and all the beds, it is really easy to do so. Just unhook it and throw it in the washing machine.
- Lined with comfy faux fur that your ferret will love
- The straps and the metal hooks are durable and secure
- Easy to clean and machine washable
- The straps are not adjustable, so you are limited in where you can put it
Ferrets love tunnels, both to play in and to sleep in, which makes the Ware Crinkle Hang-N-Tunnel a great option. When your ferret is ready to take a nap, the fleece inside is soft and comfortable, and the tunnel offers a dim and private place for your ferret to relax.
On the other hand, when your ferret is ready to play, there is a crinkle layer that your ferret will love to run on.
It comes in two different animal prints, but you do not get to choose which print that you want. It attaches to the top of the wire cage with two nylon straps and clips. You can trust that these straps and clips will keep your ferret secure in the tunnel, whether he is taking a nap or playing.
- A place for your ferret to nap and play
- Fleece for your ferret’s comfort and a crinkle layer for fun
- Secures to a wire cage with strong straps and metal hooks
- You do not get to choose the print that you get
This super-soft hammock with two layers is a great option if you have multiple ferrets but are trying to save space. The upper level is perfect if your ferret wants to rest while still being able to see all around, and the lower level gives your ferret a little bit more privacy while still making sure they are exposed to air circulation so they will not overheat.
The hammock is made of soft, plush material that clips onto your ferret’s cage with four straps. It comes in three different colors that you can choose between chocolate, gray, and purple.
The one thing to keep in mind is that it although very durable is not indestructible, so you will have to regularly check it for damage that could hurt your ferret.
- Made out of a super-soft material that your ferrets will love
perfect if you have multiple ferrets
- Will keep your ferret warm in the winter, but plenty of air
- Circulation so he will not overheat in the summer
- Your ferret could chew and scratch up the bed, which could to problems
If you are looking for a cute ferret bed rather than a hammock, you could consider the JanYoo small animal bed. It comes in several different designs, including crocodile, giraffe, pig, bee, reindeer, and koala. It also comes in three different sizes: small, large, and extra-large.
For one ferret, large should be enough, but you might want an extra-large bed if you have two. You can choose to put it in your ferret’s cage, but most people use these beds out around the house.
It is made out of super-soft, plush cotton and your ferret will definitely love curling up inside of it for a cozy, warm nap. And, when it comes time to wash it, you will love it too because all you have to do is unzip it, place it in a laundry bag, and throw it in the washing machine.
- Easily unzips and is machine washable
- Made of soft, plush cotton, your ferret will love
- Comes in a variety of sizes and designs you can choose from
- It might be too big to fit inside your ferret’s cage
If you are looking for something a little less whimsical than the JanYoo beds, you could consider getting the WowowMeow Small Animals Hanging Cave Bed.
It also comes in a variety of sizes and colors, such as blue, grey, yellow, and pink. You can just place it on the ground of your ferret’s cage or your home to act as a bed, or you can use the clips to attach it to the top of your ferret’s wire cage.
The bed is plush and soft, so your ferret will be able to nap comfortably inside with a little extra privacy from the world. The material is also machine washable, so it is really easy to clean when the time comes around.
- Comes in a variety of sizes and colors you can choose between
- You can lay it on the ground as a bed or hang it on the top of the enclosure
- Made of a soft plush material that is machine washable
- It does not have adjustable straps, so you do not have a lot of options if you decide to hang it
Just like humans like to shut the door to their room and have some time alone, ferrets often like having a place they can escape to and feel completely alone. The MidWest Homes for Pet Ferrets is a great way to give your ferrets this sense of privacy safely.
It is a fabric cube that hangs from the top of your ferret’s cage. On one side, there is a circular opening that your ferret can peak his head out whenever he wants.
The cozy cube is made of a completely safe polyester that is easy to maintain. Whenever it is time for you to clean the cube, simply detach the hooks and throw it in the washing machine. Just make sure your ferret isn’t inside it when you do so.
- Gives your ferret a place to escape for some time alone
- Easily attaches and detaches from the top of an enclosure with hooks
- Machine Washable
- Only comes in one design: purple and blue
- Ferret care and husbandry, Heather Bixler and Christine Ellis
- Sleep and sleep regulation in the ferret (Mustela putorius furo), Sushil K Jha, Tammi Coleman, Marcos G Frank