Ferrets are friendly and companionable creatures. Though their intelligence makes them interesting and amusing pets, their sharp and active mind can also get them into trouble easily, so they need a comfortable home where they can stay safe.
If you are looking for a ferret cage, you have come to the right place – this article reviews the 12 best cages for ferrets which you can buy online today.
This post contains affiliate links, and I may be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links, at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
What Are the Best Ferret Cages Currently Available on the Market?
When you are purchasing a home for your furry friend, you must be extra careful to pick a cage that meets your ferret’s various needs. With so many different options to choose from, making a final decision can be overwhelming.
We are reviewing some of the best ferret cages currently available on the market. So, when you are buying your ferret cage, you will know what factors to consider to make your ferret’s home both safe and comfortable.
This ferret cage has everything a cage must have to keep a ferret happy. The full-width doors make cleaning the cage very easy. The full-width plastic flooring and critter-proof and dual-locking door latches make this cage extremely safe for your ferrets.
Each unit of this double-unit ferret cage that can also serve as a home to many other small animals comes equipped with two ramps, two resting shelves, and a removable base, which makes cleaning each shelf easy. You can adjust the height of the shelves to create more space.
The angled ramp covered with reversible happy feet ramp covers makes it easy and safe for ferrets to move from one level to another.
This cage is made from wire metal so it is extremely strong. It includes several attaching points, which you can use to add toys, tubes, and hammocks.
It also comes with a one-year warranty.
- It’s a large cage with sufficient space to store numerous different things
- Plastic flooring and critter-proof and dual-locking door latches make it extremely safe
- Angled ramps present in each shelf is yet another vital safety feature
- Has attaching points for hanging toys and hammocks
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- The manufacturing company is known and respected for its excellent customer service
- Some users say that assembling this cage is difficult
This cage is also very tall – one of the tallest ferret cages available in the market. It is 31 inches in length, 20 inches in width, and 54 inches in height. The cage itself is 41.5 inches tall. So if you have more than two ferrets, this cage should be on the top of the list of cages you plan to check out.
Made from wrought iron, it is also very durable. The two front doors come equipped with an escape-proof latch, which makes this cage incredibly safe for your furry friends. The large front door makes cleaning the cage easy. The shelf at the bottom is ideal for storing toys, food, and accessories.
The cage includes two plastic platforms, three plastic ramps, and a hammock, and a grille, all of which you can move around to create space. The wheels at the bottom make moving the cage around easy.
- Roomy enough to accommodate two or more ferrets
- Ample space to add toys and accessories
- Comes equipped with ramps that you can move to create more space
- The wheels makes it easy to move the cage
- Comes with a clear instruction manual
- It has wired cage flooring, but you can solve this problem by using padded bedding
- Quite big for a single ferret
This cage, specially designed for ferrets, measures 29 inches in length, 31.5 inches in width, and 63.4 inches in height and has a bar spacing of .5 inches – ideal if you have two or more ferrets.
The cage includes everything you will need to create a happy home for your little friends. The packaging includes a water bottle, a food bowl, a litter pan, a hammock, two ramps, three platforms, and two play tubes. Other than the two doors on each shelf, this cage also features a door on the top, which makes cleaning the cage extremely easy.
The cage also features two six-inch deep pans, which you can remove to clean debris and litter, and wheels that make moving the cage easy. This cage is easy to set up and comes with a one-year warranty.
- The cage includes a water bowl, a food bowl, a litter pan, a hammock, two ramps, three platforms, and two play tubes
- It features three doors – two in the front and one at the top, which makes it easier to clean
- The litter pan is detachable; you can remove it to clean litter and debris
- The wheels at the bottom are an added advantage
- It comes with a one-year warranty
- The quality of the material used could have been better
- Putting the cage together can be difficult
Although this is a cage designed for cats, its size also makes it the right choice for ferrets. Bar spacing may be a problem, but you can solve this issue by wrapping chicken wire around the bars — this will make the cage safe for your ferrets.
The cage includes two extra-thick shelves, which add to its durability. The ABS tray makes it easy to keep the cage clean. The packaging also includes a hammock, wire ladders, and four casters.
This cage is fairly easy to set up, and the entire cage can be folded and kept in a box, which is an added advantage if you move around a lot. The wheels at the bottom add to the convenience of using it.
- It is a big cage and you can easily add in toys and food bowls
- A hammock and ladders included in the packaging
- The wheels at the bottom add to the convenience of using this cage
- Big shelves add to its stability and strength
- The ABS tray at the bottom will make it easy for you to keep the cage clean
- It is reasonably simple to set up
- This cage is a cat home so the bar spacing of 1.2 inches is not ideal for ferrets.
The Mcage New Extra Large 3-level cage is another one of the taller cages that my friend recommended. It is 55 inches tall without the stand, which makes it the most towering cage in this list. Thirty-two inches in length and nineteen inches in width, this cage can comfortably accommodate two ferrets, maybe even more.
This cage is specially designed for small animals so the space between the bars is half an inch which is the ideal bar spacing for a ferret cage. It also includes a bottom grate and pull-out tray, which you can remove from the cage for cleaning.
There is a removable rolling stand with a shelf ideal for storing toys and food. Most importantly, the cage comes coated with an animal-safe epoxy coated finish, which makes it extremely safe for all small animals.
- Its height creates plenty of room for ferrets to play
- Bar spacing is ideal for small animals, including ferrets
- The bottom grate and the pull-out tray will help you maintain hygiene
- The stand includes a shelf, ideal for storing pet supplies and toys
- Comes coated with animal-safe epoxy coating, which makes it very safe for ferrets
- Easy to set up
- A few customers complained that some of the pieces were bent
Although this is a cat cage, many different features make it an ideal choice for ferrets as well.
1. This is a 3-tier cage, which means your ferrets will have a lot of space to play
2. It features a leak-proof plastic floor pan so you won’t have to worry about your ferret harming its feet. The leak-proof nature of the cage floor will also help you maintain hygiene.
3. The front doors feature secure-locking door latches, which is yet another vital safety feature.
4. It extensively uses metal in its construction, which makes it sturdy and strong.
5. You can fold this cage if you wish to carry it with you when you are traveling.
The biggest problem with this cage is that it does not include any ramps or angles to make moving between the shelves easy for your ferrets. You will have to buy these things additionally.
- The 3-tier design creates a lot of space for playing
- It features a plastic floor pan, which makes it safe for your ferrets
- The front doors feature secure-locking door latches
- Its construction extensively uses metal, which gives it strength and durability
- It is foldable so you can carry it with you wherever you go
- The manufacturing company offers a one-year warranty
- It does not include any ramps or stairs to make moving between shelves easy
- Too much folding and unfolding might compromise the cage’s strength and durability
This extra-large cage measures 25.2 inches in length, 17.2 inches in width, and 51.7 inches in height. It has a bar spacing of 0.9 inches so if you think spacing could be a problem, you can use chicken wire to reduce bar spacing.
The cage features six tiers, which create ample space for your ferrets to jump around. All the levels connect with ramps, thereby making the cage safe for your furry friends. More importantly, the entire cage comes coated with a non-toxic hammertone paint, which not only makes the cage elegant to look at but also makes it safe for all small animals.
The four casters at the bottom make handling the cage comfortable. This Yaheetech cage features three doors and a slide-out tray, which makes cleaning the cage easy. The packaging also includes a pet bowl and a water bottle.
- This cage features three doors and a slide-out tray, all of which add to one’s convenience
- Comes coated with non-toxic hammertone paint, which adds to the cage’s aesthetic appeal while also making it safe
- The casters at the bottom will help you move the cage anywhere in your home
- Six levels equipped with proper ramps make this cage a fun home for ferrets
- It is quite sturdy and will last for years
- 0.9″ bar spacing might be too wide for small ferrets
This wheeled deluxe cage features six levels connected through five anti-slip ramps. It features three doors, which make cleaning the cage easy.
The wheels at the bottom feature brakes and make moving the cage very comfortable.
Users can remove the tray at the bottom for cleaning. However, the bar spacing is 0.95 inches, which is not the ideal bar spacing setting for ferrets.
- Six levels and five anti-slip ramps make the cage a comfortable home for all small animals, including ferrets
- Wheels at the bottom feature brakes and provide excellent company over the cage
- The bottom tray is detachable and you can remove it completely while cleaning the cage
- The three-door design provides easy access to the cage, making it easier to clean it
- Bar spacing of 0.95 inches might be too wide for small ferrets
This cage would make a perfect ferret home for one or two ferrets. Thirty-seven inches in length, twenty-three inches in width, and approximately sixty-three inches in height, it will provide enough room for your ferrets to play around.
More importantly, the bar spacing is about .43 inches, which makes it one of the best cages in terms of bar safety. It extensively uses metal and is very durable.
The front two doors provide easy accessibility for cleaning and also feature a safety lock mechanism, which adds to the safety feature list of this cage.
This cage has five shelves connected through three ramps and a good quality hammock, which is a nice bonus.
- This cage provides ample space for up to two ferrets
- With 0.43 inches bar spacing, this cage is one of the safest cages for small ferrets
- The front doors feature a safety lock, thereby making the cage a safe home for your furries
- Five shelves and three ramps create ample space for playing
- The cage has sufficient room if you want to add toys and tubes
- Some of the material used for ramps is not chew-proof and replacing the ramps is expensive
This cage is one of the most affordable options in the market. It includes three shelves connected with safety ramps and spiral slides to ensure your ferrets are having a good time. The addition of a hammock and FerreTrain Funnel makes this cage a fun place to be for ferrets.
The base at the bottom can be removed and replaced, which makes cleaning this cage very easy.
The cage also features three doors, two at the front and one at the top, which will increase your accessibility to the cage for cleaning purposes.
However, it has a bar spacing of one inch, which is a significant drawback for small ferrets.
Another significant issue is that a clumsy ferret might fall from one of the levels because the cage is completely open from top to bottom. Other ferret cages have a shelf throughout the middle to prevent this type of injury.
- The three-shelf design makes this cage a wonderful and exciting home for ferrets
- Safety ramps make moving between shelves safe
- The bottom tray can be completely removed for cleaning purposes
- The three-door design adds to the convenience of cleaning the cage
- The addition of toys and tubes is a welcome idea
- One of the more affordable options available in the market
- Bar spacing of one inch might be too wide for small ferrets
- A clumsy ferret might fall and hurt himself since the whole cage is open from top to bottom
This metal cage uses the Mansion Add-On to transform itself into a fun four-level home for your ferrets. The use of metal gives it strength and life. Further, the cage itself is scratch-resistant and chew-proof, which makes it an ideal choice for ferrets.
Most importantly, the cage features solid metal floors as well as metal shelves. So you can rest assured that your ferrets’ feet will stay protected at all times.
The cage features slide-out trays at the bottom. These trays have a thick 1.5-inch border, which ensures all the debris stays inside the tray and makes cleaning the cage easy.
There is not much you can say against this cage, except the price. For the same price, you might be able to get one of the bigger cages listed at the top of the list.
- Sturdy and durable
- The metal-base floor and shelves will protect your ferret’s feet
- The bottom tray features a 1.5-inch border, which helps to keep all the litter and debris inside
- The bottom litter tray is detachable
- Quality comes at a price
This roomy cage will make a perfect home for your little ferrets. Made from heavy-duty powder-coated wire, this is a sturdy cage that will look well in any corner of your house.
It includes six wheels, which make moving the cage around easy. Two of these wheels have stoppers that hold the cage securely in its place.
- For its price, the cage is quite durable
- The three-tier design creates a lot of space for your ferrets to play around
- The six wheels present at the bottom make moving the cage quite easy
- Two of the wheels have stoppers and hold the cage securely in its place
- Compared to other cages available in the market, this cage lacks in terms of quality and extra features
Things to Consider When Buying a Ferret Cage
When it comes to ferret cages, there is no shortage of options to choose from. If you go online, you will find hundreds of different cages listed as high-quality products. However, not every cage you see online is good enough to keep your pet friend happy. Here are some of the critical factors you must check for while buying a ferret cage.
1. Pick a Roomy Cage
Ferrets are active beings and enjoy a good romp in their cages. They may spend several hours a day playing in their cage, so the cage you pick should be large enough to provide sufficient space for your ferrets to play around. It should also be able to accommodate bedding, food, water, and a litter pan.
2. The Size of the Cage Is Directly Proportional to the Number of Ferrets
The size of the cage you choose to buy should depend on the number of ferrets you decide to keep. In this case, you have only a single ferret, a 24-inch long, 24-inch tall, and 36-inches wide cage would be ideal.
If you have two ferrets, the perfect cage would measure 30 inches in length, 30 inches in height, and 42 inches in width. In general, the rule is with every extra ferret you own, add 6 inches of space to the measurements of a single-ferret cage.
3. Make Sure to Check Bar Spacing and Locks
If you are not careful enough, you may find that your ferrets have managed to escape the beautiful home you bought them. One way to ensure the safety of your ferrets is to buy a cage that has a bar spacing of one inch or less.
Similarly, before putting your money in any cage, make sure its doors close securely with a locking latch. If you are dealing with supremely active ferrets, we recommend adding binder clips for extra safety.
4. Invest in a Ferret Cage with a Solid Floor
While buying a ferret cage, make sure never to pick a cage with wired flooring. Ferrets have delicate feet, and wired flooring can damage their feet severely. Further, your ferret’s feet can also get caught between wires, thereby leading to severe injuries.
Cages with PVC flooring make suitable ferret cages. In case you’ve already put your money in a cage with wired flooring, cover the floor with thick padding or carpet to make the cage safe for your pet friend. You may also cover the cage floor with either cloth or linoleum tiles; this will make cleaning the cage easier.
5. Look for Added Features
To keep your ferrets active and occupied, invest in a cage that comes with added features. Most ferret cage manufacturers include ramps and ladders as added features. Further, while buying a ferret cage, also remember to purchase hard plastic toys that your ferret can not easily chew. Noisemaking toys also go well in ferret cages.
6. Pick a Multi-Level Cage to Keep Things Fun for Your Ferrets
In general, it is a good idea to buy a cage divided into multiple levels. If you have two or more ferrets, a four-tiered ferret cage is a good option. However, make sure the cage has ramps and ladders to make it easy for your ferret to go from one level to another.
Wrapping up – Best Ferret Cages
Several different factors make this cage the ideal cage for ferrets. When buying a cage for your furry friend, take into consideration the size, bar spacing, ease of access, and durability.
Extra features are nice but can always be added later on so don’t get swayed by the appeal of gadgets. A sturdy cage is a safer bet and an excellent investment that will last you for many years, a big plus if you plan to keep one (or more) happy ferret in your home for the foreseeable future.
- What Are the Best Ferret Cages Currently Available on the Market?
- 1. MidWest Deluxe Ferret Nation Double Unit Ferret Cage
- 2. Prevue Hendryx Black Fiesty Ferret Cage
- 3. Ferplast Ferret Tower Two-Story Ferret Cage
- 4. Homey Pet Black Wire Cat Cage
- 5. Mcage New Extra Large Wrought Iron 3-Level Ferrets Cage
- 6. AmazonBasics Large 3-Tier Cat Cage
- 7. Yaheetech Metal Ferret & Chinchilla Cage
- 8. PawHut 6-Level Indoor Small Animal Cage
- 9. Prevue Pet Products Deluxe Critter Cage
- 10. Kaytee My First Home Deluxe 2X2 Multi-Level With Casters
- 11. Exotic Nutrition Mansion Cage – 100% All Metal Multi-Level Cage
- 12. IRIS 3-Tier Wire Cat Cage
- Things to Consider When Buying a Ferret Cage
- Wrapping up – Best Ferret Cages