Sugar gliders are unique little pets that need a proper diet, care, and lots of space to live healthily. These exotic pets are quick and enjoy climbing and gliding from place to place, so a large, roomy cage is a necessity if you have a cute, little glider as your pet. If you are looking to buy a cage, know that there are several important factors to consider.
What Are the Best Sugar Glide Cages Currently Available in the Market?
If you are looking to buy a cage for your sugar glider, you have come to the right place. We have been reviewing dozens of cages and we got in touch with hundreds of sugar glider owners to gather their experience with the most popular and sought-after sugar glider cages currently on the market. We are sharing our knowledge and first-hand experience to compile this list of some of the best sugar glider cages which you can buy today. First, let’s introduce you to the best 3 sugar glider cages available at the moment.
- adjustable shelves
- 3 ramps
- 36″ L x 24″ W x 63″ H
- 0.5-inch bar spacing
- one-year warranty
- 31″ L x 20″ W x 54″ H
- removable pans
- space-saving shelf
- powder-coated steel mesh
- Two large front doors
- Pull out bottom tray
- 0.5-inch wire spacing
- Easy to clean
None of these cages were originally designed with sugar gliders in mind, but rather they were made for ferrets and birds. However, they make excellent sugar glider cages.
The feature that we liked best about this cage is that it comes with adjustable pans and two adjustable shelves. This particular feature makes it easy to adjust things around to create sufficient space for your pet sugar gliders. It also makes it easy to clean the shelves and remove the food tray.
Moreover, the cage comes equipped with wheels. We found this feature to be particularly handy as sugar gliders are nocturnal animals, so you will need to move their cage regularly to ensure their home is away from direct sunlight.
The MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation measures 36 inches in length, 25 inches in width, and 63 inches in height, which is ideal even if you have more than two sugar gliders. The wire spacing, i.e. half an inch, is perfect too. The product comes with a one-year manufacturer warranty, which is an added advantage since many of the cages I checked out offered no guarantee at all.
- All the shelves can be adjusted to create more space
- 0.5-inch bar spacing is ideal
- It’s tall enough for your sugar gliders to jump around as much as they want
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Double door design makes it easy to clean the cage
- The assembling will take time
- The quality of the lock used could be better
This is one of the tallest cages on the list which makes it an excellent choice for sugar gliders since they need a lot of vertical space to roam about and play. It is 31 inches in length, 20 inches in width, and 54 inches in height, so if you have more than two sugar gliders, they won’t be too cramped in a cage that size.
In terms of safety, the two front doors come equipped with an escape-proof latch for added safety and the 7/8-inch wire spacing ensures that even small sugar gliders do not escape when unsupervised. The cage coating is entirely non-toxic which is important since gliders tend to chew on the wire bars when anxious.
This cage is also practical to maneuver with wheels at the bottom that help to move the cage around your house. There is a bottom tray to collect your sugar glider dropping if needed. Also, there is a shelf at the bottom to store toys, food, and accessories.
Two things that could have been improved, though: only one of the two front doors open, which makes it more difficult to clean. Also, each platform is made of wire mesh as opposed to a solid tray, so a sugar glider might hurt its paw when walking. However, you can fix this by putting cardboard at the bottom of the cage and removing the other platforms since your sugar glider will need vertical space anyway.
- A lot of space to add toys and accessories
- Tall enough to accommodate two or more sugar gliders
- Wheels make it easy to move the cage
- Comes with a clear instruction manual
- You must cover the wired cage flooring to protect your critters’ paws
- Only one door opens
This cage comes in four different sizes: large; large – 2 pack; large – 4 pack; and extra-large. Depending on the number of sugar gliders you have, you can choose the size that suits you best.
The standard large size measures 31 inches in length, approximately 21 inches in width, and about 53 inches in height and is ideal if you have one or two sugar gliders as pets. This cage features drawer slides, which makes it quite easy to clean the cage. Moreover, the cage has two large front doors that are easy to open and close securely. Irrespective of however intelligent your sugar gliders are, they won’t be able to open the front door.
More importantly, it is made from durable wrought iron, so it is sturdy while also being easy to assemble. Since the cage is pretty roomy, you will have ample space to add toys and other things to create a lively atmosphere for your sugar gliders.
- This cage comes in four sizes. You can choose a size that suits your needs
- The standard size is 53 inches tall and easily
- Accommodates two sugar gliders.
- It’s made from wrought iron so it is easy to handle while also being durable
- Drawer slides make the perfect place to store pet accessories and food
- The two front doors lock securely so you won’t be worried about your sugar glider’s safety
- Assembling it will take a lot of time
- Some customers say many parts come wrongly labeled, which makes it further difficult to assemble this cage
Best Sugar Glider Cages – More Options
|YAHEETECH 69-Inch Extra Large Wrought Iron Cage |
|Check Latest Price|
|Durable All-Metal MANSION Cage |
|Check Latest Price|
|VIVOHOME 53 Inch Wrought Iron Large Cage |
|Check Latest Price|
|MCAGE Large Wrought Iron Bird Cage |
|Check Latest Price|
|EVERILA Bird Cage |
|Check Latest Price|
|BOSELY Standing Wrought Iron Large Cage |
|Check Latest Price|
|BRISBANE Large Metal Cage |
|Check Latest Price|
|AIVITUVIN Large Cat House |
|Check Latest Price|
|PREVUE PET Stainless Steel Cage |
|Check Latest Price|
With 31.9 inches in length, 18.3 inches in width, and 69 inches in height, this Yaheetech cage was one of the biggest cages I checked and is the right choice if you have more than only a few sugar gliders.
The cage comes equipped with 360 swivel smooth-rolling casters, which make handling much more manageable. However, if you want to keep the cage in one place, it can be easily detached from the main stand and placed in a fixed position.
Yet another unique feature of this cage is that it comes coated with non-toxic hammer tone paint. The construction includes two panels and two ladders, all of which are removable. The lower section of the cage features a sliding shelf drawer that you can use to store your pet’s accessories. The two front doors make it easy to clean the cage, and you can also altogether remove the tray for cleaning.
This Yaheetech cage impresses with its size and construction and you might find it to be unnecessarily big if you have only one or two sugar. However, many pet owners believe the bigger, the better, so the final word will be yours.
- The cage is tall enough to accommodate more than two sugar gliders
- Can be detached from the main stand and placed anywhere in the house
- Wheels feature brakes, which make moving the cage very easy
- Comes coated with the non-toxic hammer tone paint
- The design includes two front doors and a sturdy lock
Comes equipped with two panels and two ladders, both of which can be removed to create more space
- The lower section features a shelf drawer for storage
- Probably a bit too large if you only have two sugar gliders
Several different factors made this cage one of the top choices for me. First, the Exotic Nutrition Mansion Cage is chew-proof, which was one of the essential criteria I had in mind while buying the cage. Made from metal, this cage is also one of the sturdiest cages I checked. The manufacturing company has been in the market for over 25 years and has very good customer service.
The cage measures 32 inches in length, 20.5 inches in width, and 58 inches in height. Also, its wide shelves help create even more space for your sugar gliders to play around. Even if you are planning to add toys to the cage, there will still be enough space for your pet friends to jump around. The cage features removable trays, which makes it easy for pet owners to change trays every day.
The highlight of this cage is that it comes coated with an animal-safe powder, which makes this cage a wholly safe home for your sugar gliders. Lastly, if you want to add more space to this cage, you can opt for the mansion add-on which will convert your pet’s home into a four-level cage.
- It is made from chew-proof metal
- It extensively uses steel in its construction, which makes it very durable
- Wide shelves create sufficient space
- Trays are removable and can be easily cleaned
- It comes coated with an animal-safe powder
- If you want to create even more space, you can choose to buy the mansion add-on.
- A bit more expensive than other cages
- Cage be heavy once assembled
The Vivohome cage is made from quality materials and will surely last long years. It features two large sliding doors that lock securely in the front. These sliding doors are easy to operate, so cleaning the cage won’t be a hassle. There is also a pull-out tray included in the design. The bar spacing is 0.6 inches, which is ideal for sugar gliders and the entire cage comes coated with an animal-safe powder coating.
The design features three wood climbing posts, all of which are removable. If you feel a lack of space, you can remove some of these components to create space. Even without removing these components, the cage is large enough to accommodate two to three sugar gliders. Also for its quality, I found the cage to be pretty reasonably priced.
- Rust-proof and waterproof steel
- The latches are strong and durable
- 4 caster wheels at the bottom
- Not easy to assemble
- The tray is very thin
The Mcage is made from wrought iron, which makes it extremely sturdy while also being easy to move. It measures 32 inches in length, 19 inches in width, and 37 inches in height. So it is roomy enough to accommodate two sugar gliders. However, if you have more than two sugar gliders, I will not recommend this cage to you.
There is a metal safety lock, which closes securely. So, even if you are out for hours, there is no need to worry about your sugar glider escaping out of the cage. It also features a slider tray, which makes it easy to refill the food, and a bottom shelf, which you can use to store toys and other things.
- It is made from wrought iron and will easily last you long years
- The cage comes equipped with a metal safety lock, which locks securely
- The slider tray can be removed for cleaning
- Owners can store food and accessories on the bottom shelf
It features a large front door, which makes it easy to clean the cage
- 0.5-inch bar spacing makes the cage safe for sugar gliders
- This cage is more expensive than others
- If you have more than two sugar gliders, this cage is not ideal
Two unique features attracted me to the Everila Parrot Cage. First, the cage features wires made from carbon steel, which is one of the sturdiest materials available for creating wires of any cage. Second, the cage comes coated with a non-toxic epoxy coating, which not only makes the cage beautiful to look at but also extremely safe for your sugar gliders. However, this is a small cage and cannot accommodate more than two sugar gliders.
The Everila parrot cage features wheels and is easy to move around. More importantly, its design is such that you can remove the cage from its stands and keep it anywhere you want. The cage is not very heavy so moving it won’t be a problem, even when you are not making use of the wheels. There are seven feeder doors and a front door big enough to facilitate easy cleaning.
- Made from carbon steel, which makes it one of the sturdiest cages available on the market
- Comes coated with non-toxic epoxy coatings and is a hundred percent safe
- Comes equipped with wheels which makes it easy to move around
- Seven feeder doors and the large front door make cleaning the cage easier
- 0.5-inch bar spacing makes the cage safe for small animals, including sugar gliders
- The cage can be removed from its stand and placed anywhere
- The assembling manual is not included, which makes it difficult to assemble the cage
If you are looking for a reasonably priced, medium-sized, durable cage for two or fewer sugar gliders, you can consider buying this Boseley birdcage. Its construction extensively uses steel, which gives it stability over rough surfaces.
The design includes a steel bowl, wooden stick, and iron ladder to keep your pet active. The industrial casters, two of which feature brakes, make it easy to move the cage around. With the removable sliding grate and the two front doors, cleaning the cage becomes quite easy. You will have to assemble the cage on your own. However, the packaging includes a manual that explains how to set it up.
- It is the ideal choice if you are looking for a medium-priced cage
- Extensive use of steel gives it strength
- Sliding grate and front doors make it easy to clean the cage
- Packaging includes a manual, which buyers can use to assemble the cage
- Quality of materials used could be better
- Not the best choice if you have more than one sugar glider
This is one of the few cages that is actually designed for sugar gliders. Thirty-six inches tall, thirty-three inches wide, and twenty-two inches deep, this stand is the right size for small pets, including sugar gliders. With 15 cubic feet of interior space, this cage is roomy enough for two to three pets.
Its design features a tube-frame construction, which gives it balance. The stand includes an accessory shelf where you can store all the accessories, toys, and food. Since the cage is custom-designed for sugar gliders and other small pets, it has a bar spacing of 0.5 inches and the two front doors feature a robust metal lock.
The entire cage comes coated with an animal-safe powder coat, and the packaging includes two plastic dishes and two climbing wood posts. However, returned cages are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
- One of the few cages designed for sugar gliders
- The cage has 15 cubic feet of interior space, your sugar gliders will have sufficient space to move around
- Comes coated with an animal-safe powder coat
- Its tube-frame construction gives it strength and durability
- Doors feature a sturdy metal lock
- 0.5 bar spacing is ideal
- Returned cages are subject to a 15% restocking fee
You must be wondering why I have included a cat house in this list of sugar glider houses. As mentioned before, there is a definite shortage of cages custom-made for sugar gliders, so people who have sugar gliders must learn to check all options with an open mind.
Cat houses are roomy, which essentially means your little friend will have ample space to play around. Also, since the area isn’t a problem, you can add toys and other exciting elements to keep your pet friends interested.
Moreover, this house meets most of the requirements of a sugar glider cage. The space between the bars is just right. The cage also features two doors which make cleaning it easy and wheels that make it easy to move it around. Most importantly, this cage is about 32 inches in length and 71 inches in height. It, therefore, is big enough to accommodate up to three to four sugar gliders.
- Its huge size makes it suitable for up to four sugar gliders
- Due to the availability of ground space and height, you can add toys and other things to the cage
- Wheel assembly makes it easy to move it around
- 0.5-inch bar spacing makes this cat house an ideal home for sugar gliders
- Too big if you have only one or two sugar gliders
- Since it is huge, it is also slightly pricey
This cage features high-quality materials and will easily last you long years. More importantly, the powder coating used is a hundred percent safe for animals. This cage is 31 inches in length, 23 inches in width, and 61 inches in height, which makes it roomy enough for more than two or three sugar gliders.
It features a single large door and a slide-out grill and tray, both of which make keeping the cage clean, comfortable. The cage is also available in many different colors, so the availability of options is an added advantage. However, the bar spacing is one inch, which may be too wide for young sugar gliders.
- It is made from high-quality materials, which give it durability and life
- It comes coated with an animal-safe powder coating
- The large front door makes it easy to clean the cage
- Slide-out grill tray is easy to operate
- It is quite tall and therefore, can easily accommodate two or three sugar gliders
- The cage comes in several different colors
- One-inch bar spacing may prove to be a problem for small sugar gliders
- Quite pricey compared to other cages
Factors to Consider While Buying a Cage for Your Sugar Glider
Sugar gliders are active pets that need ample room to play. However, space is only one of the many critical criteria to be considered while buying a sugar glider cage. Here are some of the essential factors you must consider while purchasing a cage for your little friend.
Finding the Right Size Is Crucial
Sugar gliders require ample space to climb and glide from one place to another. Therefore, the taller the cage, the better it is.
If you have only one sugar glider, the recommended cage size is 20 inches wide by 20 inches deep and at least 30 inches high. For a pair of sugar gliders, the cage must be at least 24 inches wide and 24 inches deep. The recommended height for a pair of sugar gliders is at least 36 inches. Logically then, the more the number of sugar gliders you have, the bigger the cage should be.
When it comes to sugar glider cages, the height is more important than both the length and width to ensure your little marsupials get to stretch their flying membrane. If you are having difficulty finding a suitable cage for your sugar glider, invest in a tall birdcage.
Proper Bar Spacing Will Ensure Your Sugar Glider Doesn’t Escape
Whatever sugar glider cage you decide to buy, make sure the space between the bars does not exceed a half-inch. Sugar gliders are intelligent pets and will escape if you do not pay proper attention.
More importantly, choose a cage with horizontal bars over a cage with vertical bars. Horizontal bars will make it easy for your pet friend to do their climbing.
Material Used Should Be Safe
When it comes to the cage material, there are two things you must keep in mind. First, the material used must be chew-proof, or you will find your pet gone in only a few days. Second, cage makers around the world coat the bars of cages with different kinds of coatings to add shine to them. Some of these coating materials can be very harmful to the health of your sugar gliders.
For instance, some cage makers use epoxy coating since it is the cheapest option available. However, epoxy can prove to be lethal to sugar gliders and cause zinc poisoning. So, make sure you do some research and buy a cage made from a chew-proof and safe material.
It Should Be Easy to Clean
The cage of a sugar glider should have some shaving which acts as bedding. Typically, cage makers recommend using aspen or fir shavings. It is essential that you clean this shaving every week or your pet friend will run the risk of developing an infection or disease.
The cage you buy should be one that allows easy access, enabling you to clean the cage regularly. Moreover, you will also need to enter the cage to change food and water. Easy access, therefore, becomes an important criterion.
With so many great options available in the market, choosing one can be a small challenge. Depending on your own criteria, there are several valid options to choose from – the main one should be the size of the cage since sugar gliders need sufficient space to move around.
Other factors like bar spacing and durability are important to take into consideration. Remember that sugar gliders live up to 15 years in captivity, so our take on the matter is that investing in a good quality cage is a better move than having to buy another 5 years down the line.