Researchers claim that in sugar gliders and other small animals, playtime boosts mental health and encourages natural climbing and hunting skills. Therefore, pet behaviorists advise sugar glider owners to include toys in cages. This article will help you have a birds-eye view of what type of toys and accessories you may add to your sugar glider cage, as well as the best options currently available on the market.
This post contains affiliate links, and I may be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links, at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
- Everything You Need to Know About Sugar Glider Toys
- What Kind of Toys Should I Add to My Sugar Glider’s Cage?
- The 15 Best Sugar Glider Toys, Cage Sets, and Accessories Currently Available
- 1. Oncpcare Pet Cage Hammock
- 2. Leeko Pet Hammock Hanging Toy, 3 Piece Set
- 3. Silent Runner Wheel
- 4. Sugar Glider Toy – Six Pack
- 5. Trixie Pet Products Suspension Bridge
- 6. Jungle Canopy Toy Bundle
- 7. The Kozy Kritter 15 Piece Sugar Glider Cage Set
- 8. WOWOWMEOW Small Animal Cage Hanging Bunkbed
- 9. Sky Blue 5-Piece Small Pet Cage
- 10. KINTOR Sugar Gliders Sleeping Pouch
- 11. Kaytee Silent Spinner Small Animal Exercise Wheel
- 12. Solar System Sugar Glider Cage Set (15 piece)
- 13. Monkey Pulley Toy Sugar Glider Toy
- 14. Jingle Jangle Dangling Sugar Glider Toy
- 15. ETSY Sugar Glider Cage Set
- The Final Word
Everything You Need to Know About Sugar Glider Toys
Pets living in cages do not get the chance to interact with nature or indulge in activities they usually do when in the wild. According to animal behaviorists, for sugar gliders living in the wild, playtime is a critical activity that ranks lower only to food hunting.
It is because young sugar gliders learn fundamental and essential skills, such as climbing and hunting for food, as well as exposing themselves to different textures and shapes while playing and interacting with the other sugar gliders. Within a cage, pet owners can create opportunities for these learnings through toys and accessories.
Mammal behaviorists also believe that sugar glider toys promote coordination and dexterity in pet sugar gliders. Moreover, they also keep your favorite pets occupied by providing them with a channel through which they can release their pent-up energy.
Studies have shown that sugar gliders with toys in their cage are less aggressive toward their owners, since chewing and swinging allow them to release their energy positively.
What Kind of Toys Should I Add to My Sugar Glider’s Cage?
Here are a few common options that most sugar glider owners prefer to use.
Rope toys have become increasingly popular among sugar glider owners. However, one must be careful while buying rope toys. Put your money only on rope toys made from cotton, jute, or sisal, and specifically stay away from nylon blend ropes as they tend to fray, which can lead to significant accidents and mishaps. Pet owners who use ropes must regularly check them – cut any cords you see and discard all frayed rope toys.
2. Wooden Toys
Wood is an excellent choice for sugar glider cages. However, certain woods, such as Cedar, Plywood, Oak, and Red Cheery, are considered unsafe and should be avoided.
All wooden toys made from pressure-treated wood should also be kept away from sugar glider cages as well as cages of other small animals as this type of wood is treated with arsenic, which is poisonous to animals. You should also never soak wooden toys for cleaning as the moisture retained by wooden toys can promote bacterial growth.
3. Plastic Toys
Among plastic toys, acrylic toys make the best option available for sugar gliders, as they are hard to chew. Toys made from a combination of wood and acrylic are also a good idea. However, pet owners must avoid soft plastic toys at all costs. Further, they should look for toys that are bright in color as they do a better job of stimulating a sugar glider’s senses.
4. Hammocks and Bedding
Sugar gliders are especially picky about where they sleep. Chances are you will have to give your sugar glider two to three different options before it settles on its permanent or favorite home. When it comes to resting, sugar gliders prefer hollow logs and hammock pouches. However, remember that the hammock or bedding you choose must not only be comfortable and cozy but should also feature secure stitches to ensure the safety of your pet friend.
5. Rings and Bells
Rings and bells also make great cage toys. However, while shopping for these toys, sugar glider owners must keep a few things in mind. First, the ring shouldn’t be big enough to let a sugar glider insert its head inside the ring, as this can lead to fatal accidents. Second, the bells you select must be significant so that your sugar glider cannot swallow them. Third, make sure the rings and the bells you choose do not contain lead as lead is toxic to all animals.
The 15 Best Sugar Glider Toys, Cage Sets, and Accessories Currently Available
To make the life of our loyal readers and sugar glider lovers easier, we have gathered this list of the best sugar glider toys, cage sets, and accessories currently available on the market. By the end of these reviews, you will know which toy or accessory may be the best choice for you.
This hammock, ideal for all small animals, is made from an exceedingly soft material and makes a comfortable resting place for all furries. It features two layers, which results in extra space for resting. It also comes attached with spring clips, which makes hanging the hammock within the cage easy.
- Made from plush and supremely comfortable material
- Features two layers, with both the layers designed for resting
- Comes equipped with spring clips, which make hanging the hammock within any cage easy
- This hammock may be too small for big sugar gliders
This cage set includes a pet ladder, a pet swing, and a pet hammock, all of which attach securely to a cage through the snap slips that come as part of the package. The pet ladder is made from wood and features colorful beads that are chew-safe so they make a safe way to allow your sugar glider to release its built-up energy. The swing toy will keep your furry active and occupied throughout the day.
- Good variety of stimulating toys
- All the components are chew-safe
- Sturdy material
- Size may be an issue for some big sugar gliders
This wheel will provide your sugar glider with ample exercise. The solid running surface that features textured running tracks will ensure the safety of your furry while also ensuring their good health.
Most importantly, the toy features a center axle and a natural bean-shaped opening so that your gliders do not run any risk of injury. The innovative ball-bearings make sure the wheels operate smoothly.
- Features solid running surface with textured tracks to ensure the safety of pets
- The natural bean-shaped opening and use of a center axle further add to your pet’s safety
- Facilitates smooth running
- Constant running can make certain nuts go loose, so tightening is required every once in a while
This six-pack set contains a variety of toys to keep your sugar glider entertained at all times. The packaging includes a 24-inch stretch rope, a 4-feet noodle tube, a maraca swing, a ring on a spring, a foraging cup, and a barrel of monkeys.
- Contains six different types of toys to keep your pet occupied at all times
- Good quality products
- Your furry may not like all the toys
This bridge features a wooden ladder complete with a nylon and lamb fur-look hammock. It also features a rope ladder and a ring to create a provision for more activities. The highlight of this suspension bridge is its height and width, which makes it suitable for slightly bigger species as well.
- The use of nylon makes the bridge reliable and strong
- The ring and the ladder are a smart addition
- Its size is an advantage
- Reasonably priced
- The hammock uses rings to attach itself to the cage, which makes it less durable. Clips would have been a better choice here.
This toy bundle includes three of the company’s most popular small animal toys — the Curling Dangle Toy, the Triple Treat Tower, and the Rainbow Bridge. These interactive toys will induce acrobatic exercises into your furry’s playtime.
- Includes the three most popular toys produced by the company
- Induces acrobatic exercises into your sugar glider’s routine
- The company is known for its quality products
- All of the products use rings to attach to the cage
This cage set, specially designed for sugar gliders, is handmade, which makes it safe for your pet. It is also machine washable so cleaning it won’t be a hassle. The 15 pieces feature 30 colored hooks to attract your sugar glider. All in all, this is a good quality accessory for any sugar glider cage.
- The set is machine washable, which makes it easy to use and maintain
- The set is handmade, which makes it safe for small animals
- Features colored hooks to entice your furry
- The price is slightly on the higher side compared to other products
If you have been on the lookout for a comfortable bed for your little friend, the WOWOWMEOW bunk bed is a valid option. This bed features soft fleece lining that is comfy and cozy.
It comes with four clips that you can use to attach the hammock to the cage. The hammock is also machine washable, so keeping it clean is easy.
- This bunk bed features a fleece lining, which makes it comfortable
- It features clips, which give it a powerful grip
- The hammock is machine-washable
- The cage straps are small so you must extend them to create more space between the cage and hammock
If you are looking for a cage set that has everything you need to decorate your pet’s cage, this 5-piece set is a very good option. It includes two hanging triangle sheets, a swinging donut, a hanging square sheet, and a triangle bed.
Made from sugar glider-safe material, it features secure stitches and unexposed seams to ensure the safety of your furry friend. It is also machine washable.
- Made from animal safe material and features secure stitches
- All the pieces are machine washable
- Buyers get one free sugar glider snack with the package
- Users must use a mesh laundry bag to avoid causing any harm to the set
This adorable pouch features a safe sewing design to make it comfortable for your little friend. Designed with sugar gliders in mind, it hangs vertically to make your critter feel like they are in their natural habitat.
Created using canvas and fleece, this pouch is comfortable as well as durable. It comes in two sizes which you can choose from depending on the size of your pet. The stainless steel clips give it a sturdy grip, and the pouch is also machine washable.
- Safe design
- Features stainless steel clips for better grip
- Comes in two sizes
- Machine washable
- The top features a flap that closes over the animal while sleeping, which can be an issue
This wheel is specially designed for sugar gliders and Syrian hamsters and has a silent mechanism to minimize unwanted noises while your critter exercises.
It is 10″ in diameter and a clever thing is that it works either free-standing or attached to your wire cage. The funning surface is made of sturdy plastic which is both comfortable and safe for your sugar glider.
- Silent mechanism
- Works either free-standing or attached to a wire cage
- Sturdy plastic that is both safe and comfortable
- Quiet but not 100% silent
All of the components included in this set are hand-made and feature safe stitches, which make the set safe for your glider. All the parts are easy to clean and machine washable.
Further, all fifteen pieces feature colored hooks, which make the toy even more attractive to the sugar gliders and other small animals.
- All the components are handmade and feature secure stitches
- The colored hooks not only add to the beauty of the set but also make it more attractive to sugar gliders
- Machine washable and easy to maintain
- Some better sets available on the market for a similar price
If you are looking for a cute toy for your sugar glider, we recommend this colorful monkey pulley interactive toy. Each toy features six monkeys that will surely entertain your furry. It comes in three different colors and it is also animal-safe.
- This is an interactive toy that allows sugar gliders to exercise their mental strength
- All the different colors will make it even more attractive to your furry
- Three different colors you can choose from
- Slightly expensive when compared to other sugar glider toys
This adorable toy includes a foraging cup to feed your sugar glider, a bracelet hoop to promote acrobatic exercises, and jangly charms to keep your pet from getting bored.
All of the toys are made from high-quality material, which makes the toy safe, sturdy, and durable. The packaging includes a free jingle-jangle toy.
- High-quality and durable materials
- You get one free jingle-jangle toy
- The toy features plastic clips. Adding steel clips would have made this toy perfect
For its reasonable price, this cage set includes a lot of different items – a rectangular pouch and round cup pouch, two triangle landing ledges, a square hammock, a bounce and play bridge, a bunk bed, a 4-layer boa vine, four fleece blankets, and 25 rainbow links.
All of these items are also animal-safe and made from high-quality materials that will last a long time.
- Many items at a reasonable price
- Features colorful toys, which will brighten up your furry’s home
- Made from sturdy material and will last a long time
- The straps are made from cloth and are not extendable
The Final Word
There is no shortage of useful and sturdy toys and accessories in the market, and therefore, making a final choice can be difficult. If you find yourself unable to make a decision, remember the most important thing is the safety of your furry. Therefore, buy a toy or cage set that is cute and fun but also safe.
Resources and further reading:
- Play and energy regulation in mammals, N Barber
- Sugar Glider Care Sheet, International Sugar Glider Association