Choosing toys for your ferret can be fun and daunting at the same time since there are so many choices and so many things to consider when shopping for the right items.
Within this guide is a list of the best toys for ferrets, as well as some tips and pointers on what to look out for when shopping for your ferret. We will also share with you what to avoid when looking at toys available on the market today.
This post contains affiliate links, and I may be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links, at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
- Do Ferrets Really Need Toys?
- What Kind of Toys Do Ferrets Like to Play with?
- What To Look for When Buying Toys for Your Ferret
- How to Keep Your Ferret Entertained
- 15 Best Toys That Your Ferret Will Love
- 1. Marshall Super Thru-Way
- 2. Marshall Pet Products Pop-N-Play Ball Pit
- 3. Marshall Ferret Sport Balls
- 4. Nite Angel Ferret Cotton Rope Nets
- 5. Naturals by Rosewood Rattan Wobble Ball Small Pet Toy
- 6. Kaytee Super Play Tunnel Hanging Tube
- 7. Youngever 24 Cat Toys Kitten Toys Assortments
- 8. Marshall Pet Products Ferret Swimming Pool
- 9. Kumikiwa Tunnel Bed
- 10. CHIWAVA 48PCS Toy Balls with Bell
- 11. KONG – Durable Natural Rubber Toy
- 12. Marshall Bungee Ferret Toy
- 13. Oxbow Enriched Life Play Table
- 14. Petlike Peek-a-Boo Tri-Tunnel
- 15. Frisco Cat Tracks Butterfly Cat Toy
- Wrapping Up
Do Ferrets Really Need Toys?
Ferrets – just like some other domesticated pets – are highly active and love to play. Just like cats, but with an added craziness about them that makes them adorable to their owners. They are basically social animals but are surprisingly well-adjusted too when living solo. Even then, they still need stimulation with the help of toys that will keep them entertained and happy.
However, a ferret that is left alone too long will become stressed out and agitated. They eventually become destructive and start eating anything that they can put their mouths on, so there exists a need to respond to their physical and mental needs.
How Do Ferrets Play?
Ferrets take pleasure when their owners play along with them. They can be very reactive and jumpy, which is exactly what makes them endearing for most ferret owners. However, when your ferret becomes tired and doesn’t want to play anymore, it would be wise to leave him alone, as he can be irritable and will have the tendency to scratch and bite.
What Kind of Toys Do Ferrets Like to Play with?
Your pet is not fussy about whether the toy that you brought home to them is DIY or store-bought. What matters is that they find it entertaining, which you will find out soon enough by their reaction and how long they play with it.
Jumping around and squealing, as well as pawing and biting at the toy are fairly good indicators that they are excited, as they will likely be playing with it longer. If the toy inadvertently gets destroyed due to chewing, it’s likely that they won’t come back to it.
Here are some types of toys that Ferrets like (both DIY and store-bought):
- Hard Plastic Balls with Bells Inside: These types of balls seem to be a common favorite for ferrets. They are mostly attracted to the jingling of the bells as they play.
- Ordinary Paper Bags and Cardboard boxes: It may look too simple for us humans, but a long low fortress made out of cardboard boxes is already Disneyland for your four-legged furry kids. They will enjoy exploring, going in and out, and hiding inside it.
- Assorted Small and Soft toys to Chew on: Store-bought soft and fluffy toys of this type are a major hit for ferrets. they just love to carry them around and sometimes chew on it while at play. They come in different sizes and shapes, as well as different colors.
- DIY PVC Pipes or store-bought collapsible Tubes: Ferrets have a natural need to burrow and pass through tunnels when in the wild. Any kind of hole that they see leading somewhere is almost mandatory for them to go through, thus satisfying their burrowing instincts.
- Dangling Hard and Soft Toys: Just like kittens and young cats, ferrets are also fascinated with dangling and fluttering things. It just gets them all excited and worked up.
What To Look for When Buying Toys for Your Ferret
- Natural Materials: If it is something that your ferret will likely put in his mouth, let it be something that is made out of natural wood and with little to no toxic components like glue and bad-smelling plastic.
- Washable: If it is something that your ferret will be lying on or sleeping on, make sure it is washable and made out of strong material. Unlike dogs that are uncomfortable pooping where they eat, ferrets are quite the opposite. They are likely to poop even in places where they rest and play. So be on the lookout for unusual smells and unusual stains.
- Safety: Try to avoid toys that are made out of softer latex rubber, as your ferret may chew it and swallow it. Avoid toys with small parts that can become choking hazards. Look for loose threads on certain toys that that are made of cloth to avoid accidental strangulation.
Likewise, avoid toys that have small openings that lead nowhere, like the bottom of a plastic bag. Ferrets have an instinctive nature to slip through any opening that they find trying to investigate what’s on the other end. When they get stuck, they might panic and trap themselves in the process.
How to Keep Your Ferret Entertained
Ferrets are highly intelligent pets. They can learn a game and play with you with some combined enthusiasm of a dog and hyperactive cat. A word of caution though, they have the tendency to not always follow the rules, so be ready.
Before engaging your ferret in any game, you need to safety-check the area where you are playing. If you are inside the house, close any window or door that can accidentally lead your ferret outside. Incidentally, ferrets have little homing instincts. If left outside unsupervised, they will escape and might not come back. On the other hand, if you are already outside of the house make sure to keep them on a leash or in a playpen.
Below are some games that you can play with your ferret to keep them stimulated and be able to bond with you at the same time.
- Finding the Hidden Toys: Ferrets love to play a game of finding toys that have been buried under a pool of play balls or even rice. Adding edible treats as hidden rewards can really up their game which also adds to their enjoyment.
- Playing Tag: Ferrets are fast-moving animals and are keen to chase whenever, wherever. You can actually teach your ferret to chase you around the house and vice versa.
- Tug-of-War Game: Use a toy rope or even just an old towel so you can stimulate your ferret to play push-pull with you. Be careful about getting your hands too close to your ferret mouth or you may get accidentally bitten.
- Use Cat Toys: Many cat toys can be used to entertain your ferrets. One example would be the ball and feather toy. You can interactively trail the toy on the floor and lift it up anytime that your ferret comes near it.
15 Best Toys That Your Ferret Will Love
Ferrets naturally love to burrow and a tunnel is one of the many ways to nurture their natural tunneling instincts. The moment that it is stretched out on the floor they will immediately run into it.
The Marshal Super Thru-Way is made of clear plastic walls that allow you to see exactly where your ferrets are when inside the tube, which helps tremendously when supervising play.
Made out of high-quality and safe plastic materials, the tube itself is washable with plain soap and water (don’t forget to towel it dry after washing). The tube is collapsible and can also be expanded up to a full 15 feet of tunneling fun for your ferret. It looks and feels sturdy and does not easily tear.
The price itself is reasonable considering the length of the tube and the hours of quality fun time that your ferret gets out of it. We recommend that you tie it in a knot when storing it since it will shrink back to its shorter version when pulled back from a stretch. It only weighs 0.63 kilograms (1.4 lbs) and is perfect to lay out in any part of your house.
- One of the longest ferret tubes on the market
- Can accommodate 2 or 3 ferrets at the same time
- See-through tube for easier supervision
- Sturdy and safe material
- Unpleasant plastic smell when unboxing
Ferrets love to tunnel and drive through pits of balls. The Marshall ball pit is a collapsible enclosure that has 35 balls of different colors contained inside a pit, which can later be folded after use.
Added to this fun-filled assorted ball playpen is the option to connect it to the Marshall Super Thru-Way tunneling tube reviewed above. It adds a compartmental variety making it double the fun for your ferrets to dive and tunnel around.
- Easy to set up and to fold for storage
- Option to connect to the Marshall Super Thru-Way makes it more versatile
- Very sturdy
- More balls would have been good
- A bit narrow for 2 ferrets
These medium-sized sports-themed cloth balls that are made out of fleece come in 2 pieces per pack. The size of these ball toys is specifically tailored to the size of your ferrets – not too big, not too small to become a choking hazard.
The balls contain jingling bells inside that give out a nice tinkly sound every time your ferret plays with them. For some reason, the sound of these bells stimulates the ferrets giving them more enjoyment. You may consider this a specialty toy that is a must-have for every small animal owner.
Marshall is known for making sturdy toys, you can expect these balls to last and provide your ferrets with long-lasting playtime.
- Non-toxic and safe
- Depending on your ferret’s play habits, each toy may last only 3-4 weeks
This toy is a great agility exerciser. It is a large, durable, and sturdy netting made out of cotton ropes that you may hang at different angles to satisfy your ferret’s need to climb up. The climbing exercise itself on the rope net will help keep his nails trimmed and not become overgrown from lack of use.
It has metal clips on each side to ensure steadiness so you may hang-stretch this rope net at a horizontal position to simulate a mini forest canopy or a hammock. You can also hang it sideways at vertical mode to provide your ferret with a ramp to climb upwards.
One last thing, you can connect two or more of this netting toy to form an extended canopy or some sort of rope bridge that will exercise your ferret’s running and balancing instincts. You can say this toy will give your pet the full-body workout that it craves and needs.
- Stimulates your ferret’s need for climbing
- Thick, sturdy, and long-lasting
- Great simulator of their natural habitat in the wild
- Not machine-washable as it may shrink and shrivel
- Some ferrets find it uninteresting
This small sturdy, wobbly ball made out of natural rattan wood was designed to be safe and fun at the same time. No glue or wiring was added, it is all-natural interwoven pieces of rattan wood that are built to withstand chewing, rolling, and bouncing around by your pet.
Be prepared to replace it if your pet is a heavy chewer. If you like your pet being able to release tension from their jaws even if it means having to buy one on a regular basis, by all means, you can maintain this as a staple toy.
- Pet safe with no toxic chemicals added
- Can be used as a food dispenser
- Prevents boredom and destructive behaviors
- Satisfies your ferret’s chewing instincts
- Not suited for strong chewers as it may become a choking hazard
Fitted with four durable straps, this tube can be placed safely hung on the inside of your wire pet den. Made out of washable polyester fabric, this hanging tube would also make for great sleeping and hiding place for your ferret after a long day of playing and scurrying around.
- Very cozy and comfortable
- Machine washable
- A bit too small for large ferrets
This set of toys will keep your ferret entertained for very long periods of time. You will want to consider the assorted contents of this package as worth the quantity more than quality. For as long as your ferrets are enjoying the different shapes and different textures and assortment of toys this box contains, they are good to go.
Don’t expect the small items to hold up to the claws and teeth of your ferrets – we actually recommend that playtime must be supervised to prevent any choking accidents from occurring. Along with the small furry cute items comes a two-way tunnel that can be entered from either side which provides a fun crawl-through and hiding space for your ferret.
Inclusive of the items are a teaser wand, a feather toy, a soft fluffy mouse, and many more. Overall, a great toy set that will pique your ferret’s curiosity and at the same time satisfy his need for some variety when playing. They are going to chew at it, anyway, so why not get them plenty to do it with.
- Good value for the price
- Very engaging and interactive pack
- Nice variety of toys
- Some items are not sturdy enough for heavy biters
- Small parts may become a choking hazard
Constructed with soft but sturdy rubbery material, this ferret swimming pool can do more than make for a great dip for your pets on a hot day. It can also double as a ball pit or a rice dig pool for your furry kids. This item was awarded as one of the Top 3 Finalists for Hottest New Item at the Global Pet Expo 2020.
Not all ferrets like water, but for those that do, this will provide water fun that can be done in summer or whenever you have time to play a dip with your furry friends. Measuring at 24 inches wide and low enough for your ferret to easily get in and out of, this foldable pool is an inviting playtime may it be wet or dry, depending on your ferret’s preference.
Remember to fill it only halfway with water for safety reasons, and supervision while playing in the pool is a must. This item is also durable enough to hold more than two ferrets at a time. You will want to watch a ferret that loves to chew on rubber walls to prevent unnecessary damage to the pool. Overall, this swimming pool is one portable destination you won’t have to leave home for.
- Can be used both as a swimming pool and a ball pit
- Big enough to hold several ferrets
- Portable and foldable
- Easy storage
- Being wet too often may be irritating to your ferret’s skin
This item is made up of a combination of canvas and suede material to make up a durable two-mode bundle. You have the option to use the bed and the tunnel attached or separately. Either way, it makes for a great dual-purpose play-home for your ferret.
It keeps your pets entertained with hanging balls and mice on both ends of the tunnel. The bed is washable and the tunnel is alternatively a bed too. This item is also portable and easily foldable to carry to wherever you and your ferret might be spending time.
For most pets, this tunnel bed becomes a resting territory of sorts. No more searching and calling out for your ferret in other parts of the house as they will likely be hiding in the tunnel or sleeping on the bed.
- Suitable for more than one ferret
- Non-skid bottom
- Easy to set up, fold and carry
- Won’t fit inside a ferret’s cage
These fun-filled balls made out of hard plastic in a see-through lattice format show small jingling bells which ring at any movement. Your ferret will love the clinking as they move and toss the ball around. As they pounce and bounce the ball around you may play with your ferret with it or you leave them to themselves to play and be entertained.
Each ball measures about 1.6 inches in diameter and is just about the right size for your ferret to carry around. These balls are not as sturdily built as the others but are enough to hold up against bouncing and pouncing by your ferret. The box itself is built like a dispenser where your ferret can just come up to it and choose one or two from many of the balls from the bottom part of the box.
- Good variety of textures, colors, and sounds
- Convenient dispenser-like box
- Plastic pieces can become sharp and cutting if crushed
A durable toy made out of non-toxic natural rubber with a strange shape, and multiple functions, the Kong toy can satisfy a ferret’s instinctual need for mental stimulation and solve separation anxiety and boredom. This Kong Classic toy is a product of scientific research that serves to help your pet cope with stress and play at the same time.
The Kong can be filled with ferret treats which will give your ferret a small challenge to be able to get to and eat. It is dishwasher safe and easy to clean. It can also double as a fetch toy with its unpredictable bounce that can easily stimulate your ferret. It comes in different sizes, but we recommend using the X-Small for your ferret.
- Versatile and multifunctional toy
- Good for mental challenge
- Can get pretty messy after use
- Needs to be washed after each use
Shaped like a fluffy duck, this soft bungee ferret toy provides exercise and entertainment for your ferret while inside the cage. Tied to an elastic strap that holds the toy to dangle, it will catch and sustain your ferret’s interest for hours pawing, jumping, and biting at its as it snaps back wildly when pulled and released.
The ducky toy is made out of soft sturdy cloth material that can withstand chewing and pawing. It will give your ferret a good mouth and body exercise while remaining intact all throughout the play. You may leave this toy unsupervised whenever your pet is locked inside the cage. It can provide animated mental stimulation and lets your ferret stretch its limbs as he jumps up to the ducky toy.
- Can be used inside the cage
- Does not need supervision
- Not resistant enough for strong ferrets
This engaging table-shaped toy looks like an open cabinet where several colorful hard toys are hung. Stars, cubes, and round shapes serve to stimulate your ferret’s visual and textural senses. It is both an interactive and fun way to explore and touch and even bite the toys.
Its purpose is to excite and engage your pet while providing stimulation to his environment. These are one of those toys that help your ferret become less destructive because of boredom through clawing and chewing. This toy is tough enough to take bites from your pets without falling off.
No toxic chemicals were used in creating this toy, which makes it safe for your pet to mouth and cut his teeth on. One other outstanding feature of this toy is that you can replace some of its worn-out or damaged hanging toys with new ones. This makes this item last longer than most other toys.
- Variety of toys, shapes and colors
- Promotes dental health and claw trimming
- Broken parts can be replaced
- Small parts may be broken by stronger ferrets
This tri-toy is collapsible and can fold for easy transport and transfer. The converging 3 tunnels make for great fun and games are for your ferrets to hide, or maybe just simply to take a nap. Your furry friends are naturally burrowing animals and will immediately know what to do once they see the opening.
After taking it out of storage just go ahead and pop it open and leave it on the floor for your pet to discover and play with. The tunnels are built to withstand the weight of several ferrets at the same time making it double or even triple the fun.
- Easy to set up and fold for storage
- Can be played by 2 or more ferrets at the same time
- May get torn easily if overused
This toy consists of 3 decks or levels with balls rolling around it. The three-tiered track is assured to stay in place thanks to the paddings at the bottom of it where it prevents the whole thing from slip-sliding while your pet bats away at the balls. The constant and multiple movements that are going on provide mental and physical stimulation for your pet.
You may think that a toy like this with many movements going at the same time is running on batteries, but it’s not. It just makes use of simple physics to stimulate your ferret to bat around a ball and paw on a squiggly butterfly. This toy comes with a replacement butterfly just in case your ferret decides to chew on the other one. We recommend initially supervising play to see how your ferret would react.
Since this is a multi-sensory toy that will catch your ferret’s attention for as long as it moves, you may want to take this toy out alone and have your ferret play with it while you watch them. Allow them to focus on it by temporarily removing other toys while you engage them with this one. The purpose of this is to avoid desensitizing them with too many toys and stimuli that could potentially shut them down and cause them to lose interest.
- Sturdy and stable toy
- Good mental and physical exercise
- Doesn’t require batteries
- The butterfly sometimes fall from the wire
- Some ferrets were able to remove a ball from the track
Ferrets can live on playing with you and a variety of toys, even when you are not around. But for them, nothing beats having other ferrets they can play with.
Always be conscious about safety by making sure nothing toxic gets in contact with their toys. Check for small parts that might get loose and fall.
And as a reminder, here are our top 3 picks for this roundup review:
These top choices can attach and work with each other, as well as function separately. With proper supervision, they are almost guaranteed to provide your ferrets with hours of playtime.